24 October 2003

'But That's Not Important Right Now.'


Two new films are of interest to this blog this week: one is the biopic of Sylvia Plath starring Gwyneth Paltrow which is receiving mixed reviews (here is the review from the National Post); the other is the goofball Scary Movie 3 which seems to have more promise than its predecessors if only because it had the good sense to lose the Wayans brothers and retain Airplane! co-produced David Zucker. I don't want to say anything about the Plath film yet, partially because I'm all too aware of how dreadfully her story could be rendered. Scary Movie 3, though, is of a genre of film for which I have to admit an inexplicable and probably indefensible fondness. There's something to movies that go so shameless against the idea of seriousness, that revel so blatantly in their own irreverent silliness. I know what you're thinking: Dr J, surely you can't be serious about enjoying such trifles! Yes, yes, I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

(You had to see that coming... If not, you probably shouldn't be reading this blog in the first place.)

No comments:

Blog Archive