08 January 2004

That's The Way To Fool Their Preparation


      Okay, Doc J's world has just turned from a 'standard-run-of-the-mill' return to the academic environment to a return of chaotic and somewhat prodigal proportions. It seems that one of my colleagues was pretty badly injured over the holidays, and I've agreed to help him (and the Department) out by marking whatever lot of his papers remain; one of my other colleagues may take half of them, but none of us have heard from her on the subject yet, so it's beginning to look like I may be inheriting the whole ream of paperwork. This in itself is not too bad (extra marking is a pain the butt, yes, but a few extra dollars never hurts one's pocketbook), but this has been combined with a nasty misreading on my part. For some strange reason, I dyslexically misread the course syllabus, and instead of having two weeks to prepare that lecture I mentioned so long ago about Antony and Cleopatra, I now have a week; or, rather, six days, including what remains of today. And, of course, I have to finish the marking from my own class for Tuesday. So, needless to say, if this blog seems to flatline for the next few days, you'll know why. The lecture in itself won't be too hard to handle -- I stopped writing lectures years ago, opting for the improvisational format-- but even improvisors have to have a general sense of direction and focus, if only to ensure that they have the necessary objects ready at one's fingertips. Speaking of which, I was rereading Northrop Frye on A&C last night (from NF on Shakespeare), and am a little surprised how unimpressed I am with his discussion. Then again, chances are, were I to have a copy of my own lecture on Tuesday, I'd be unimpressed with that. Alors, I think my task now is just to keep the body alive, even if the brain died from trauma some time ago. *shakes head* Mon Dieu, je suis probablement un grand fou.

No comments:

Blog Archive